Posted by Daniel | Posted in Development, Ramblings | Posted on 23-02-2010
Community Builder suite (CB) extends the Joomla! user management system. Key features: extra fields in profile, enhanced registration workflows, user lists, connection paths between users, admin defined tabs and user profiles, image upload, front-end workflow management, integration with other components, like PMS, Newsletter, Forum, and Galleries. CB has many plugins from its Team and from third parties, including Profile Gallery, Profile Blog, Profile Guestbook, Profile Wall, Paid Subscriptions Membership management, Donations Management, Shop, Captcha and many more. Over 180 extensions for CB are listed here.
This is a must have for any site, as it provides so many features your mom will slap you. There are a lot of extensions that are made to work with, or coincide with, this extension.
JEvents is a well known and loved Events Calendar for Joomla. JEvents consists of a Joomfish compatible Joomla component and a number of modules and plugins.
* One-off Events and complex repeating patterns of events can be created and viewed in an attractive calendar and a variety of list formats
* Multiple design layouts possible
* Fully compatible with Joomla 1.5 MVC framework
* Ical imports/exports
* Repeat exception handling
* Events can be categorized and calendar views can be customized to show all or some of these categories
I use this for my site that I currently manage and it is a great, easy and user friendly calendar component that is a must if you require any form of events monitoring. There is a module and a plugin for this as well, that you will want to get with it.
Virture Mart is the complete e-Commerce shopping cart solution for Joomla!, used by thousands of store owners. It can be run in Store- and Catalog-Mode. With its powerful Administration Tool you can handle an unlimited number of Categories, Products, Orders, Discounts, Shopper Groups and Customers.
This is almost the only, yet best solution, you will need if you wish to offer products which can be purchased. Some say the support could be better, but this is open source, so there is always that issue. The code could also be a little better. However, the good far outweighs any negatives. It is a one stop shopping, if you will, in regards to features. You can sell downloadable products and it has a very pleasing interface.
DocMan is a document management solution for Joomla. DocMan makes offering downloadable documents on your Joomla site, a breeze. You can manage documents across multiple categories and subcategories; give users permission to upload, download or edit documents; store documents either locally or remotely; and prevent direct linking using the built-in anti-leech system. All of this, from within an intuitive and simple to use administration interface.
* Nested categories. Documents can be organized across infinite categories and subcategories.
* Custom Groups. Documents can be owned by a specific registered user, a groups of registered users, all registered users, or everybody.
* Powerful Permission System. Easily set default guest, front-end, document and creator permissions, and fine-tune permission on a document level. DOCman’s permissions system gives you full control over who can access, edit, manage, and download documents.
* Remote or Local Storage. Files can either be hosted locally or you can easily link to files stored on a remote server.
* Statistics. You can display a download counter per document. All downloads are also being logged (by user, IP, browser, date and hour) to give you full overview of what is happening with your documents.
* Integrated Search System. Documents can be searched by name and/or description. The search system integrates with Joomla! using an optional plugin.
* Security. The built-in, anti-leech system avoids direct linking to documents. Real paths to documents are never displayed to users.
* Flexible Themes. Change the look and feel of your document’s repository using the flexible themes system. Easily create your own theme to match the look and feel of your site.
This site has great response time from the developers, so you’re not sitting around like an ugly girl on prom night, waiting for them to call you. It is also very easy to use, so easy my sister can use it. If you want to offer or organize downloadable content this is one of the best. Another good download manager that I have used before is remository (not to be mistaken for the drug delivery system that we all fear).
Joomlapack is an open-source backup component for the Joomla! CMS, and it’s quite a bit different than its competition. Its mission is simple: create a site backup that can be restored on any Joomla!-capable server. Its possibilities: endless. It creates a full backup of your site in a single archive. The archive contains all the files, a database snapshot, and an installer, derived from the standard Joomla! installer. The backup and restore process is AJAX powered to avoid server timeouts, even with huge sites. Alternatively, you can make a backup of only your database. If you want a reliable, easy to use, open-source backup solution for your Joomla! site, try it out.
We all need to back up our systems to prevent loss of information or entire sites. This is one of the best.
Dreamweaver Joomla Template Kit for Dreamweaver 8, CS3, CS4 for both Apple and MS Windows.
Dreamweaver Joomla Template Extension, the two hour Joomla Template Training Video will have you making Joomla templates in no time. The Dreamweaver Extension Template design system is quick and easy, with wizards to make short work of any Joomla template project or Template conversion to Joomla.
You can make your site in photoshop, then code it to Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver Joomla Template Kit then can code or change your HTML site into a Joomla site. How cool is that?
WARNING: This is my favorite joomla extension right now. I will use any browser other than IE, as should you.
Get All but IE A module developed from Brent Laminack’s module, Get FireFox. Get All But IE detects the user browser and provides links to download FireFox, Safari, Opera or Chrome. From the end-user perspective, it might be better to use another title for the module once installed, like Browser Check, for example.
This next extension examines which browser is being used. If Chrome is being used (my current browser of choice), Firefox, Opera, or Safari, then all is well. However, if IE is being used, then the user gets a menu item that offers them the option to join the 21st century and download any browser, other than IE. If you are not being a noob, then it thanks you for not using IE. Brilliant!